Director of School Operations
2018/19 School Year
Impact | Puget Sound Elementary (Tukwila, WA)
Impact Public Schools (IPS) invites passionate individuals with a background in operations, finance and administration to apply for the position of founding Director of School Operations at Impact | Puget Sound Elementary located in Tukwila, WA (just south of Seattle).
Being a part of the Impact team is a unique opportunity. We are deeply committed to achieving our mission of preparing a diverse population of students to succeed in college and impact communities as the next generation of equity-driven, innovative leaders. Our schools are small, tightly-knit families where every child is known, guided by an individual learning plan and loved by an adult mentor. Our strong community is rooted in high expectations, joy and exudes our core values:
Bold Ambitions - We envision self-driven students and adults who develop the skills, habits and mindsets to impact communities and invent the future; we support one another in achieving step-by-step excellence along the way.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion - Diversity strengthens and enlivens us. Dissatisfied yet optimistic, we bring a lens of equity and inclusion to each decision and each day.
Team WA - All of Washington is our team. We are powerful when we work together, so we build relationships based on empathy and strive together towards outstanding outcomes for all public school students.
Everyone Grows - We approach each day as an opportunity to learn and grow. We work hard towards our own just-right goals, cheering each other on as we redefine potential.
Play Big - We celebrate. We wonder. We ask. We make and invent and imagine. We play big.
Intention - In the tiny and the huge, we keep the end in mind and reflect on the potential effects of our choices.
The Director of School Operations is responsible for all manners of non-instructional duties in an IPS school and serves as a member of the School’s leadership team. The Director is critical to the IPS school model, which seeks to relieve the principal of most administrative obligations so that s/he can focus almost exclusively on student achievement and the professional development of the teaching faculty. The Director of School Operations will also support the development of school-level operating policies and procedures that will eventually scale across all IPS schools. Further, the incumbent will take a lead role in creating operating systems for IPS schools and home office. The Director of School Operations reports to the School Principal and is also supervised and supported by the Home Office operations team.
Responsibilities of and IPS Director of School Operations
Budget and Finance
- Work with the School Principal and IPS finance team to develop and manage the School’s budget
- Maintain accurate records of all financial transactions and submit them to the IPS central finance staff for processing
- Participate in monthly meetings to review/account for budget variances
- Place and closely track school purchase orders
- Collect staff time-sheets and record any substantive changes in a school employee’s status. Process payroll for the School
- Prepare campus for start-up/new school year by doing everything from ordering furniture, equipment, and classroom supplies to ensuring school services (i.e. student food services, student transportation services) are lined up and ready for action
- Manage HR issues including tracking/follow up regarding teacher certification and employee benefits
- With the support of IPS’s central office, ensure compliance with all state, federal, and local employment laws and policies
- Maintain a clean, neat and highly functional campus by managing custodial personnel and third-party contracts for trash removal, recycling, and security
- Manage the School’s food and transportation services by ensuring delivery of service and coordinating with service providers
- Manage the School’s supply and asset inventory
- Oversee the effective implementation of core school operational practices as they relate to student and staff attendance tracking, supply requests and fulfillment, student enrollment/discharges, student meal tracking, student transportation, field trip planning and execution, etc.
- Ensure that the School is adhering to all local compliance and reporting requirements, as per calendars and guidelines provided by IPS
- Ensure that student records are properly maintained and updated
Management and Leadership
- Actively serve on the School’s leadership team
Network Leadership and Operations
- Ensure that new schools meet operational requirements
- Determine which operational processes to scale to support IPS’s growth
- Manage operations across a portfolio of schools
- Support school-based operations leads
Knowledge, Skills and Characteristics:
- Acute attention to detail coupled with the ability to think and act strategically
- Communication and management skills necessary to ensure a smooth school operation
- Ability to create, monitor, and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, highly disciplined, but sometimes unpredictable school environment
- Willingness to work autonomously, collaboratively, and/or under the direction of senior staff, as needed
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and roll-up-my-sleeves attitude
- Strong belief in the IPS mission and educational model
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university
- Minimum 2-4 years general management experience
- Knowledge of financial statements and prior experience managing a budget
- Previous start-up experience a plus
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. IPS offers a full benefits package and opportunities for professional growth.
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, explaining in detail your qualifications for the position.