Director of School Operations (Short-Term)
October 2019 - January 2020
Impact | Puget Sound Elementary (Tukwila, WA)
Impact Public Schools (IPS) invites passionate individuals with a background in operations and administration to apply for the position of Director of School Operations at Impact | Puget Sound Elementary located in Tukwila, WA (just south of Seattle).
Being a part of the Impact team is a unique opportunity. We are deeply committed to achieving our mission of preparing a diverse population of students to succeed in college and impact communities as the next generation of equity-driven, innovative leaders. Our schools are small, tightly-knit families where every child is known, guided by an individual learning plan and loved by an adult mentor. Our strong community is rooted in high expectations, joy and exudes our core values:
Bold Ambitions - We envision self-driven students and adults who develop the skills, habits and mindsets to impact communities and invent the future; we support one another in achieving step-by-step excellence along the way.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion - Diversity strengthens and enlivens us. Dissatisfied yet optimistic, we bring a lens of equity and inclusion to each decision and each day.
Team WA - All of Washington is our team. We are powerful when we work together, so we build relationships based on empathy and strive together towards outstanding outcomes for all public school students.
Everyone Grows - We approach each day as an opportunity to learn and grow. We work hard towards our own just-right goals, cheering each other on as we redefine potential.
Play Big - We celebrate. We wonder. We ask. We make and invent and imagine. We play big.
Intention - In the tiny and the huge, we keep the end in mind and reflect on the potential effects of our choices.
Essential Functions of the IPS Director of School Operations:
- Prepare campus for the new school year by doing everything from ordering furniture, equipment, and classroom supplies to ensuring school services (i.e. student food services, student transportation services) are lined up and ready for action
- Maintain a clean, neat and highly functional campus by managing custodial personnel and third-party contracts for trash removal, recycling, maintenance, and security
- Manage the school’s food and transportation services by ensuring delivery of service and coordinating with service providers
- Manage the school’s supply and asset inventory
- Oversee the effective implementation of core school operational practices as they relate to student and staff attendance tracking, supply requests and fulfillment, student enrollment/discharges, student meal tracking, student transportation, field trip planning and execution, etc.
- Lead operations for all school events and field trips
- Implement school site testing procedures and complete data analysis as needed
- Support tracking/follow up on teacher certification and other HR documentation, on-site HR matters, and employee benefits to ensure that all employees have required documentation on file
- With the support of IPS’s Home Office, ensure that the school is adhering to all federal, state, and local compliance requirements and policies, and completing required reports on time
- Ensure that student records are properly maintained and updated
- Work with the School Principal and IPS Home Office to manage the school’s budget, and participate in monthly meetings to review/account for budget variances
- Submit invoices with sufficient information to IPS Home Office for processing
- Place and closely track school purchase orders
- Collect/review staff time-sheets and partner with IPS Home Office to manage any substantive changes in a school employee’s status
- Participate in meetings of school leadership
- Model all IPS Core Values
- Actively participate in student supervision responsibilities
- Serve as the “acting principal” when the principal is away
Knowledge, Skills & Characteristics
- Acute attention to detail coupled with the ability to think and act strategically
- Ability to analyze data and information quickly
- Communication, management, and problem-solving skills necessary to ensure smooth school operation
- Ability to create, monitor, and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency
- Ability to hold others accountable and to high expectations, with high support
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, highly disciplined, but sometimes unpredictable school environment
- Willingness to work autonomously, collaboratively, and/or under the direction of senior staff, as needed
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and roll-up-my-sleeves attitude
- Strong belief in the IPS mission and educational model
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters in Business, Public Administration, Education, or related field a plus
- Minimum 2-4 years general management and/or school operations experience
- Previous start-up experience and/or experience in a high-performing school a plus
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. IPS offers a full benefits package and opportunities for professional growth.
Commitment to Diversity
IPS seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of our student movement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal employment opportunity and respect in the workplace are fundamental principles at Impact Public Schools (IPS). IPS prohibits and does not tolerate harassment, intimidation, bullying, discriminatory, or retaliatory behavior. All aspects of your employment are based upon your personal capabilities and qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex/gender (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, disability, age, military status, marital status, partnership status, status as a victim of domestic violence, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or any other protected class as established by federal, state, or local law. The following employee(s) has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Jen Wickens, CEO, 3438 S. 148th St., Tukwila , WA 98186, (206)712-7640, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, explaining in detail your qualifications for the position.