2019-2020 School Year
The 2019-2020 school year is quickly approaching and Impact Public Schools (IPS) invites passionate elementary educators to join our team as a Teaching Fellow at Impact | Puget Sound Elementary located in Tukwila, WA (just south of Seattle). Teaching at Impact is a unique opportunity. We are deeply committed to achieving our mission of preparing a diverse population of students to succeed in college and impact communities as the next generation of equity-driven, innovative leaders. Our schools are tightly-knit families where every child is known, loved by an adult mentor and guided to achieve their unique, limitless potential. Our strong community is rooted in joyful rigor and committed to the following core values:
Bold Ambitions - We envision self-driven students and adults who develop the skills, habits and mindsets to impact communities and invent the future; we support one another in achieving step-by-step excellence along the way.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion - Diversity strengthens and enlivens us. Dissatisfied yet optimistic, we bring a lens of equity and inclusion to each decision and each day.
Team WA - All of Washington is our team. We are powerful when we work together, so we build relationships based on empathy and strive together towards outstanding outcomes for all public school students.
Everyone Grows - We approach each day as an opportunity to learn and grow. We work hard towards our own just-right goals, cheering each other on as we redefine potential.
Play Big - We celebrate. We wonder. We ask. We make and invent and imagine. We play big.
Intention - In the tiny and the huge, we keep the end in mind and reflect on the potential effects of our choices.
Responsibilities of an IPS Teaching Fellow
Serve as a mentor to students as the foundation and heart of our school community
- Coach, support and advocate for mentees throughout their academic career
- Start each day with student mentees to set and monitor long-term, mid-term and short-term goals
Support Lead Teacher in guiding outstanding academic achievement and student character development
- Collaborate with lead teacher to build an empowering learning environment that excites and invests students in their learning
- Inspire students to realize their unique academic, social and emotional potential
- Exemplify IPS’s core values in all interactions with students, families, and colleagues
- Implement academic interventions for students based on data
In collaboration with other Teaching Fellows and Teachers, plan and execute an art expedition class and an enrichment class
- Plan weekly lessons based on IPS instructional frameworks
- Implement lessons aligned with IPS core instructional and behavioral practices
- Reflect on progress made after each lesson
Commit to professional learning, development, and growth
- Collaborate with lead teacher and school team to contribute to culture-building and improve instructional skills
- Engage in weekly coaching with an instructional coach
- Actively engage in a strong, supportive community of adult learning, professional development, and team planning
Skills and Characteristics
- Enthusiasm for elementary education
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Ability to connect with a diverse student population
- Strong belief in the IPS mission and educational model, including a desire to learn how to integrate elements of project based learning, personalization and social emotional learning into instruction
- High moral character
- Values the importance of working in a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment
- Exhibits a growth mindset
- Positive and effective collaborator
Educational Background/Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with an outstanding record of academic achievement and extracurricular leadership
- Strong desire to become a credentialed teacher
- Passionate about learning
- Must pass background check
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. IPS offers all teachers a full benefits package and extensive opportunities for professional growth.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY IPS seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of our student movement.
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, explaining in detail your qualifications for the position.